Restorative Agriculture with Grassfed Beef – October 2014

In this months training we hear from Forrest Pritchard who is a professional farmer and writer, holding degrees in English and Geology from the College of William and Mary. His farm Smith Meadows was one of the first “grass finished” farms in the country, and has sold at leading farmers’ markets in Washington DC for more than fifteen years. His book Gaining Ground, A Story of Farmers’ Markets, Local Food and Saving the Family Farm was named a Top Read by Publishers Weekly, The Washington Post and NPR’s The Splendid Table.

Forrest’s new book is slated for release Fall 2015, from the award-winning press The Experiment.

Forrest grew up on the farm but his family did not work the farm.  His Mom and Dad both had off farm jobs to pay the wages and taxes on the farm.  After college, Forrest decided to take a break from school and work and actually work the farm which was close to failure and he never left.  With 21st century marketing and what is today innovative farming practices (They were the norm 100 years ago.), Forrest and his sister turned the farm around. 

Forrest talks about what it takes to make a farm profitable in today's economy and why he believes that high stock density grazing and multi-species are part of the key.

Forrest talks about The 3 Keys to Success in Farming:

  • Give enough rest to let grasses get established
  • Graze 30% of the forage tops and trample the other 70% to get good ground grass contact
  • For number 3, you'll have to listen to the audio training - Subscribe today


This content is protected. Click the PayPal button below to begin learning instantly!

Leave a Reply